cornering the latex market

     I just saw an ad for the forthcoming Godzilla movie.  I was gratified
     to see that the beast seems to have a perfectly good tridactyl,
     theropod foot.  It got me wondering how I might go about measuring
     Godzilla's pedal phalanges to add them to my dinosaur and bird foot
     skeleton data base.  I'd probably have to get a custom-made set of
     calipers.  Judging from the houses shown for scale in the picture of
     Godzilla's foot, my calipers probably aren't big enough.  Once I get
     the data, I'll probably have to log-transform the measurements to get
     them onto the same graphs with my other data without scrunching the
     other points into an indecipherable blur near the origin.

     I would also like to make a cast of one of the critter's footprints
     for my dinosaur and bird footprint collection, but I don't think I
     budgeted for enough plaster of Paris in my current NSF grant.  It
     looks like casting one of the big G's prints would require a tad more
     than I usually use.  Silicone or latex rubber is probably out of the
     question; too expensive, even for more more conventionally sized large
     theropod prints.  I could try to slip a purchase order past my
     departmental chair or the dean.  Hmm.  Maybe even the vice chancellor
     for financial affairs would go for it.  The university routinely
     spends money on odder big-ticket items than that.  Maybe we could use
     a positive made from the cast as a university swimming pool.

     Some silly thoughts for Friday and Mayday.