Re: way off topic

-----Original Message-----
From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, May 02, 1998 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: way off topic

>Michael wrote:
>

>> I agree that many organisms sacrifice function for display, but I think
>> that human female mammary glands are primarily functional.  <snip>

>That point I was trying to make (and that several others have made
>before me) is that humans are the only primate species (and one of
>the few mammalian species) where the female has permanently swollen
>breasts. Most mammals only have noticable breasts when they are
>actually feed young. <snip>

Females have permanently larger post pubertal breasts than males (some
larger than others) because of estrogen and progesterone.  During pregnancy
they become larger due to much larger increases in estrogen, progesterone,
and HPL.  Later prolactin helps with lactation.  This applies to primates
and AFAIK all lactating mammals.  That last remark is off the top of my head
so don't hold me to it.

I was only clarifying and your point about display for the origin of
feathers is certainly valid and an important one to remember.  Since
dinosaurs don't have lactating breasts, I will go back to lurking.

Michael Teuton