Re: dinosaur mailing list administrative message

From: Bill Adlam <wa105@mead.anglia.ac.uk>

>I think Mickey's aim was to avoid having to decide whether to time
someone
>out.

I thought his aim was to avoid having to police the list in order to
decide for himself whether to time someone out.  The suggested change
accomplishes this aim yet prevents blatant misuse of the mechanism by
thread-enemies.  I think we can generally rely on people not to be too
peevish but woe to the person who argues forcefully that Tyrannosaurus
rex was a scavenger!  Zap, three of the young listmembers (who *really*
don't like that hypo) write to Mickey and there goes new listmember Jack
Horner, timed out.

>I think three.  We don't want everyone on the list complaining
frequently.

In the environment created by listmember initiated time-outs, that's
going to be unavoidable to some extent, especially considering that the
time-out votes will be private, to Mickey only (I assume).

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I just want to focus
some attention on the possible consequences.

Hmmm.  Will the time-out be publicly announced in order to avoid further
e-mail on the subject?

Larry