Giant sauropods

Archosaur J wrote:

>Touche. Titanosaurids simply skipped my mind.
>
>So then who was larger Argentinosaurus or Seismosaurus?

The vertebrae of Argentinosaurus are MUCH larger than those of Seismosaurus.
Argentinosaurus was almost certainly the more massive animal, although
Seismosaurus may have been longer.

Following Greg Paul's mass estimates, Seismosaurus was c. 30 tonnes (he used
to put it at around 55-60 tonnes) and Argentinosaurus at c. 80-100 tonnes.
Supersaurus seems to be the biggest Morrison diplodocid, at c. 40-50 tonnes
based on a scapula-coracoid.

Note that IF the measurements for Amphicoelias fragillimus are accurate
(impossible to verify at present, as the specimen apparently lived up to its
name...), this would be a 100-150 tonne Jurassic diplodocid, much larger
than anything for which material is known in the Cretaceous.  However, these
measurements cannot be verified, whereas the currently known Cretaceous
material includes fossils of sauropods bigger than the currently known
Jurassic material.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661