Re: Discovery Impact Programs

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. said"
-----Original Message-----

Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: Discovery Impact Programs

>The Deccan volcanism clearly begins during a magnetic normal time, but the
>boundary (and hence the impact) is in a magnetic reversed time.
Interbedded
>sedimentary units within the Deccan sequence contain Maastrichtian pollen
>and non-avian dinosaurs.
>
>By every stratigraphic and chronological method used in geology, the Deccan
>volcanism was already underway for 1 million years or so prior to the
impact
>event.

    No doubt, but have you (Tom) or anyone else out there heard anything
about the possibility that the on-going volcanic action of the Deccan traps
may have been effected or exacerbated by kinetic effects (either as the
alleged 'antipodal' force focus or via, e.g., videspread crustal warping due
to the incredibly massive oceanic (sunami) waves that must have resulted?
This would probably be a somewhat difficult thing to study, but it seems to
me the possibility may have been, or should be, examined by someone.  Any