K, not C (was Re: Impact iridium (how much was there?))

At 03:11 PM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> I would like to know if anyone has calculated the amount of Iridium
>> needed to cover the entire earths surface , at the depth
>> associated with the K C
>> boundary ?
>
>That should be K/T boundary, or even C/T (see Alvarez
>et al.'s 1980 paper...they write it "C/T").

Nope, sorry: Alvarez & company were in error.  By international geological
convention, "K" is the formal symbol for the Cretaceous; "C" is the formal
symbol for the Carboniferous.  (A "C" with a horizontal line through it is
the symbol for the Cambrian, incidentally).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661