Re: Re.dino-artist of the century

David Krentz asks several interesting and difficult to answer questions about
dinosaur art. His statement about INFLUENCE and his question about medium I
think can be answered, however I must caution that the most notable pieces of
B.S.(sorry, folks) that I have ever read or heard deal with art history. So
beware.
       Art and its appreciation is entirely subjective, natural history art
even more so. I would really refrain from organizing dinosaur art as
"classical" or "modern". Personally, I feel that I'm more of an impressionist
when it comes to my artwork. But where does Christman or Marcel Delgado or
Maurice Wilson fit in? Or Bill Stout or Mauricio Anton or Bill Scheele or
Donna Sloan? Everyone brings something unique to the table and, to a great
extent we are talking about illustration here.
        Charles R. Knight was a leading light during the golden age of
illustration. His paintings were carefully and deliberately crafted with an
emphasis on values- the difference between black and white and all the grays
in between. As a result, and again this was deliberate, his paintings
reproduced as well as photographs in those early days of photographic
reproduction. Suddenly there were newspaper photographs from the Mesozoic.
Many times I have noticed that the worse the reproduction of his paintings
were, the more authentic they looked.
         As for medium, sculpture in the form of resin casts has become the
most economical form of dinosaur art collectable, and is asserting itself in
the marketplace. David should know this as his Gorgosaurus is one of the best
pieces out there. Dan Varner