Re: Re.dino-artist of the century

And by the way, even though I have "dissed" this topic, what about Zdenek
Burian?  One of the best ARTISTS ever to render anything?

----------
From: David Krentz <david_krentz@fa.disney.com>
To: david_krentz@fa.disney.com; dinosaur <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Re.dino-artist of the century
Date: Friday, May 08, 1998 2:12 PM

Mail*Link® SMTP               RE>Re.dino-artist of the century

Dan Varner wrote
>  Art and its appreciation is entirely subjective, natural history art
even more so. I would really refrain from organizing dinosaur art as
"classical" or "modern".<

 You have a good point there Dan.  What I really meant was not to classify
artwork, but for people to look past the 1980's even though dinosaurs were
still tail draggers.   The question was " Whose the favourite
dinosaur-artist
of the century" not "who draws the most accurate dinosaurs".  I myself LOVE
Henderson's stuff, and would consider him my favourite, but I can't just
say
that becuase he's current.  When I go deeper into my appreciation, I like
his
drawings because they remind me of King Kong, and without Knights
restorations and misty backgrounds, King King would not be as cool as it
is.
I just had lunch with Ricardo Delgado, Pete Von Sholly and Thom Enriquez
and
we discussed this very topic.  You know what,(big suprise) it all came down
to personal taste.
  I would be wrong in trying to get others to agree with me on my tastes,
and
perhaps I was hasty in the wording of my last post, and wasn't intending to
to preach from a leather armchair with a glass of Bordeou, a long cigarette
and a beret.
  Yes, I'm taking a fun survey FAR to seriously, so I'll chill out.

   >As for medium, sculpture in the form of resin casts has become the
most economical form of dinosaur art collectable, and is asserting itself
in
the marketplace. David should know this as his Gorgosaurus is one of the
best
pieces out there.<

   So what are we at now Dan, $40?

 David Krentz

David Krentz asks several interesting and difficult to answer questions
about
dinosaur art. His statement about INFLUENCE and his question about medium I
think can be answered, however I must caution that the most notable pieces
of
B.S.(sorry, folks) that I have ever read or heard deal with art history. So
beware.
       Art and its appreciation is entirely subjective, natural history art
even more so. I would really refrain from organizing dinosaur art as
"classical" or "modern". Personally, I feel that I'm more of an
impressionist
when it comes to my artwork. But where does Christman or Marcel Delgado or
Maurice Wilson fit in? Or Bill Stout or Mauricio Anton or Bill Scheele or
Donna Sloan? Everyone brings something unique to the table and, to a great
extent we are talking about illustration here.
        Charles R. Knight was a leading light during the golden age of
illustration. His paintings were carefully and deliberately crafted with an
emphasis on values- the difference between black and white and all the
grays
in between. As a result, and again this was deliberate, his paintings
reproduced as well as photographs in those early days of photographic
reproduction. Suddenly there were newspaper photographs from the Mesozoic.
Many times I have noticed that the worse the reproduction of his paintings
were, the more authentic they looked.
         As for medium, sculpture in the form of resin casts has become the
most economical form of dinosaur art collectable, and is asserting itself
in
the marketplace. David should know this as his Gorgosaurus is one of the
best
pieces out there. Dan Varner