Re: small and large

1
4
4

2
0
0
2

>I would like to take a little informal opinion survey.  Please rank each of
>the 7 hypotheses above on a scale from 0 to 5 (increasing importance)
>according to how much you believe they have contributed to the exponential
>decrease in species richness with decreasing body size.

You mean *increasing* richness, no?  Also, if I remember correctly, the
original question had to do with species richness within a given genus or
lineage, not number of species in a given size range globally.  Which is
your question aimed at?

>If you prefer yet
>another hypothesis, advance it by all means and give it a similar ranking.

I wonder whether your statement #2 is true.  That is, is there an
understanding that smaller sized species have a lower rate of extinction
(within a given lineage?)?  This is not something I've heard before.

  --Toby White