Re: The True Original Godzilla

Jeffrey Martz <martz@holly.ColoState.EDU> weighs in:

>     Gojira was a figure out of myth to the people of Oto Island, but
if
>I'm not mistaken, the scene with Dr. Yamane giving the lecture on
>Godzilla's status as a Jurassic "intermediate" between a terrestrial
and
>aquatic animal was part of the original release, not one of the
>Americanized scenes with Raymond Burr (although they stuck him in as an
>observer).

I recall Yamane holding up pictures of a tail-dragging tyrannosaur and a
stegosaur.  Who knows what he said in the Japanese original? (I don't
mean this as a rhetorical question.)  I mean, Godzilla does look like
the product of a theropod and a stegosaur who loved each other very much
. . . .

And Toho's resurrection of Godzilla in the late 80's was certainly a
dinosaur -- see the oscar-winning Godzilla versus King Ghidora, in which
we see Goji in flashbacks as a "godzillasaurus" as he assists those
noble Imperial Japanese against the vicious American military.  It is
truly hilarious.

Larry