Re: Gerhard Heilmann

Dan Varner wrote:

>     Can anyone, probably on the opposite side of the Atlantic from here in
>New Jersey (Darren?), provide biographical information about Gerhard Heilmann,
>the brilliant Danish scientist/artist and author of the classic _The Origin of
>Birds_(1927)? I mean ANYTHING. I've seen some illustrations from an earlier
>publication but otherwise I've been unable to uncover anything about this man
>who was certainly one of the most influential figures in VP of this century.
>And I've spoken with some old-timers. He is like a supernova that flares
>suddenly then quickly disappears. Even birth and death dates would be useful.
>     And somewhere there is a motherlode of unpublished artwork...
>     Thanks, Dan Varner

Here is some info I have from various sources.

"He was born 25.6 1859 in Skelskoer, and died 26.3 1946.
He was working as artist, draughtsman and writer,
studied medicine and other subjects in Roskilde 1877-1883.
After that he mainly studied arts under among others the
famous "Skagen-painter" Kroeer, made some travels to
Italy, Germany. He had exhibitions 1887-92, 1905,1917 and
1932. He mainly worked with decorative arts, like painting
on porcelain. As draughtsman he mainly worked with book
illustration, he also illustrated his own books. As he was
very interested in birds he made several illustrations to
different bird books, especially E. Lehn Schioelers
"Danmarks fugle" (1925-31) and his own book (together
with A.L.V. Manniche) "Danmarks Fugleliv" in three
volumes (1928-30) and also the one you mentioned
"Fuglenes afstamning" (reprint from D.O.F.T.) (1912-16),
english ed. 1926 and american 1927 ("Origin of birds).
Dr Finn Salomonsen has also written about him in:
Dansk Ornithologisk Forenings Tidsskrift Vol. 40(1946)"

Chris

of the notochord in the Cambrian was where it all went wrong.
It was all downhill from there.