From:   Sue Blakey [SMTP:ellensb@trib.com]
Sent:   Thursday, May 14, 1998 10:53 PM
To:     'jamolnar@juno.com'; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject:        RE: Dinosaur trivia question

If by Montana you mean Montana, including Montana Territory (which once
included Wyoming), then you're probably right with Montana. If you mean
Montana (as in current state) vs. its neighbor Wyoming. I'd make a strong
case for Wyoming. I'm attaching Wyoming's list, which in case you can't
read it or something happens, comes up to about 50 species. I'd be curious
what Montana's list looks like.
This information was just put together and will be used (in nicer format)
as a museum display next to a map and a listing of all state dinosaurs and
fossils.
Over 50 different species of dinosaurs have been found in Wyoming. Many
were found here first.
In 1855, the first discoveries in what was then the Montana territories
were made by the first surveys of the area (Hayden surveys). Othniel
Charles Marsh sent workers to Como Bluff to investigate stories about
unusual bones in 1877. Bones of Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus and
Nanosaurus were found, and Wyoming became a hotbed of dinosaur activity.
WYOMING DINOSAURS
* First found in Wyoming
Meat-eating Dinosaurs (Carnivorous): Coelophysis - Allosaurus* -
Albertosaurus - Ceratosaurus - Deinonychus? - Coelurus - Ornithomimus -
Compsognathus - Troodon - Ornitholestes - Tyrannosaurus* - Torvosaurus -
Utahraptor

Plant-eating Dinosaurs (Herbivorous): Apatosaurus* (Brontosaurus) -
Agathaumas (Triceratops) - Barosaur - Anchiceratops - Camarasaurus -
Ankylosaurus - Camptosaurus - Brachiosaurus - Diplodocus* - Diceratops* -
Dirachodon* - Dyslocosaurus*  - Drinker nisti* (ornithischia) -
Edmontosaurus - Dryosaurus - Hadrosaur - Haplocanthosaurus - Lambeosaurus -
Laosaurus* - Leptoceratops - Ornithischian - Maiasaura - Othnielia -
Nodosaurus (Stego-pelta, Ankylosaur) - Sauropod (unidentified) - Orodromeus
- Stegosaurus* - Pachycephalosaurus - Titanosaur - Protoceratops -
 Saurolophus - Sauropelta - Tenontosaurus - Thescelosaurus - Torosaurus -
Trachodon* (Anatosaurus) - Triceratops* -

Trace  Fossils: Tracks - Gastroliths - Skin impressions

Ellen Sue Blakey, Education Director
The Wyoming Dinosaur Center