Re: Furculae

<<Sorry to sound a bit contradictory, but the falconiform (kestrel
-presumably one) furcula I have in my hand at this very moment has a
thin flat cross-section over most of its length, except at the midline
(the stress concentration area) where the dimension ratio of its x-sect
approaches 1.5:1 .  Also, I would have thought that a rounded cross
section would give less flexibility, not the other way round.>>

 Remember falconiforms are among the groups with no "spring" because
their furculae are boomerang shaped, too robust, or are flat in most of
the cross-section.  The flat cross-section will make the furcula
immobile because it allows no flexibility due to its design.

Matt Troutman