Re: Dinoaur Trivia Question

Virginia Tidwell wrote:

>Sue Blakey has provided a interesting listing of the dinosaurs of
>Wyoming.
>Can anyone provide information on when/where the following specimens
>were
>found there, as well as their current locations.....
>
>Barasaur

The Barosaurus, if I am not mistaken, could be a juvenile Diplodocus.
The juvie was collected from Wyoming's Howe Quarry, and is now on
display at the AMNH in the Main Hall, posing in it's role as the
"frightened youngster", close to his rearing-up mother who is
about to stomp the Allosaur.  This juvie sauropod (AMNH 7530)
could indeed be an actual Barosaurus.

>Titanosaur

This came from the Latest Cretaceous Lance Formation.  I
don't know much more about it's status, or where the material
is stored, or how many specimens there are.

>Coelophysis

I didn't know about this material.  The type collection of Coelophysis
comes from the Kayenta Formation at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico,
which is Late Triassic.  It is possible that the Cloverly Formation-
equivalent beds in Northern Wyoming could have produced the
Wyoming material, but I doubt it.
Is the Kayenta Formation found in Wyoming?

>I believe the type for the genus Diplodicus came from Colorado,
>although D.
>hayi is from Wyoming.

Diplodocus sp. was found in the Medicine Bow Anticline in southeastern
Wyoming.  The AMNH has a specimen (AMNH 223).  This specimen is from
the famous Como Bluff region, excavated from the equally
famous Morrison Formation.  There are other Diplodocus specimens from
Como Bluff, Wyoming in museums scattered around the world.

Most of the Morrison Formation sauropods that occur in Colorado
also occur in Wyoming part of the Morrison Formation.

Some particularly good specimens of Camarasaurus have come
out of Wyoming.  C. lentus (AMNH 467) came from the Bone Cabin
Quarry site.

And the VERY first T. rex material (teeth and scraps) came
from Wyoming, if I am not mistaken.  (the material had a
different name (nomen dubium) back then (late 1800's)).
The good T. rex material comes from Montana and
S. Dakota, of course ;-)

Wyoming also has arguably the best Lancian-age mammal collecting
quarries in the world.

                   <pb>

--
                 Phil Bigelow