Re: [feathers]

>      Hello , I  have been monitoring the list about feathers , and I
> would like some
> comment on the following to see if it is of any value.......
>      I think that perhaps a small dinosaur found a nitch as a predator
> of small fish......
>      That in that capacity it would develop hollow bones for flotation
> purposes......
============================================================================================================================================
Hollow bones are helpful when flying, but not when in the water. When in water
you want heavier bones so that you can sink. Even extant crocodiles swallow
stones to help counteract the buoyancy of their lungs (and to help grind up
food too.) So hollow bones aren't exactly the way to go with a watery life.

Earl:
>      Arms would evolve into longer appendages to aid in pushing for
> greater speed....

Not bad, but early bird like animals had nice long tails taht would help move
the body through the water. Also, other than humans and maybe sloths, most
animals don't use their arms for propulsion through the water.
============================================================================================================================================

Earl:
>      As perhaps the earth cooled prior to the K/T boundary the need for
> greater
>      insulation as well as more buoyancy was needed which brought about
> proto
>     feathers which were only a modification of the scales to a hollow
> tubule........
>      From there it would seem to me that the need for more speed and
> stronger arms
>     would lead to eventual flight as an aquatic bird.
>      As you comment please remember I'm an amateur
>      Thank You
>      Earl Wood
>      candles@jps.net
Again not bad, but again protofeathers and feathers both originate din the
Jurassic (and quite possibly the Triassic too) not in the Cretaceous. No I
don't think insulation was the main reason for feathers, but that's a personal
view.

As for that amateur bit, don't worry. I'm not exactly a profesional myself.

Archosaur J