BABY TRICERATOPS

Regarding the juvenile _Triceratops_ specimen UCMP 15442, Betty
asked..

> are there pictures published of this specimen anywheres?  Did they
> give an aproximate age for the lil' guy?

Remember that Mark Goodwin has call on this specimen, so what is
published on it is down to him and, as yet, nothing has been
published on it except the conference abstract (AFAIK). To my
knowledge no photos of it have been published. This will happen when
the fossil is technically described, which again is down to Mark
Goodwin.

Incidentally, a special _Proceedings_ volume will result from the
Third European Conference on Vertebrate Palaeontology. At least some
of the dinosaur-oriented subjects covered in the actual conference
will get a proper write-up in that volume. It won't be out until
August or later.

I do not recall an age for UCMP 15442 being mentioned, assuming that
you mean age in terms of number of years/months the animal had lived
before it died. The other meaning of age: the fossil is Maastrichtian
of course.

And regarding an unidentified ?archosaur snout from the Jurassic of
Thailand, recently discussed by Eric Buffetaut, Betty said..

> It seems likely that this won't be published till it's identified.
> Do paleontologists have to go to Thailand if they want to see it?
> What happens with it if it's never identified?  Back drawer
> somewheres till some grad student wanders across it a hundred years
> from now?

Again, Eric Buffetaut and his team have call on this. I know no more
than that. If you are really, really interested ask Dr. Buffetaut
himself. Also, keep in mind that this specimen is not really a
special case: there are loads of problematical specimens like this
the world over. They often do get described, and are not swept under
some imaginary scientific carpet.

"By assuming less we discover more"
  - - Alice, right before she begins to chase the rabbit.

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk