New Refs #23

And now for some more stuff...

Lingham-Soliar, T. & W.-E. Reif. 1998. Taphonomic evidence for
   Fast tuna-like swimming in Jurassic and Cretaceous ichthyosaurs.
   Neues Jahrbuch fur Geologie und Palaontologie, Abh., 207(2):171-183.

Reports anatomical evidence finally that ichthyos had the capability
for and did swim like tunas - axial ocillatory mode. Seems neat.

Maisch, M.W. 1998. Notes on the cranial osteology of Muraenosaurus
   Seeley, 1874 (Sauropterygia, Juassic) with special reference to the
   neurocranium and its implications for sauropterygian phylogeny.
   Neues Jahrbuch fur Geologie und Palaontologie, Abh., 207(2):207-253.

Studies the cranium of the elasmosaurid, suggests that nothosaurids and
pleisiosaurids are sister groups.

And another classic Galton paper...

Galton, P.M. 1998. The prosauropod dinosaur Plateosaurus
   (Dimodosaurus)  poligniensis (Pidancet & Chopard, 1862) (Upper
   Triassic, Poligny, France).  Neues Jahrbuch fur Geologie und
   Palaontologie, Abh., 207(2):255-288.

Various taxonomic inferences on the various Plateosaurus material from
France and Germany. Actually quotes Weishampel & Chapman (1990)
and me directly from Wellenhofer (1993). Yipes. Got lots more work to do
on Plateosaurus to get it all sorted out. Nice to have lots of specimens for
a change, though.

A nice review of the various vertebrate anatomy texts is out -

Rosenberg, H.I. & A.P. Russell. 1998. Review of textbooks of
   comparative vertebrate anatomy. American Zoologist, 38:406-409.

Reviews a bunch, including my favorite Hildebrand which they say nice
things about. I've been planning to reread Hildebrand to remind me of
all the anatomical stuff that have escaped my brain into the ether. May try
a couple others as well.

Next, a paper on the Signor-Lipps effect, here for the mother
of all mass extinctions...

Rampino, M.R. & A.C. Adler. 1998. Evidence for abrupt latest Permian
   mass extinction of foraminifera: results of tests for the Signor-Lipps
   effect. Geology, 26(5):415-418.

Analysis of foram distribution patterns suggest that the Signor-Lipps
effect is in full force here and that the end Permian is very abrupt.

There also is a review of 3 of the new dino/bird books - Chatterjee,
Dingus & Rowe, and Shipman - by PepeLu Sanz, Nino Perez-Moreno and
Francisco Poyato-Ariza. I don't know Francisco well, although he seems
like a great guy. The others are two of the neatest people I know.
Actually, everyone I met in Spain last summer was incredibly nice and
bright, probably the most amazing concentration of such people I ever
encountered, and I've encountered a lot.

Sanz, J.L., B.P. Perez-Moreno & F.J. Poyato-Ariza. 1998. Living with
   dinosaurs. Nature, 393:32-33.

They really like Shipman's book (so do I), consider D&R and SJ to be
comprehensive reviews of current discussions, but point out that
Chatterjee tends to make his own theories, not widely held by other
paleontologists, as the main course.

That's a wrap - no irradiated iguanas described there...

Ralph Chapman