Re: Gerhard Heilmann

Chris Nedin wrote:
> Dan Varner wrote:
>
> >     Can anyone, probably on the opposite side of the Atlantic from here in
> >New Jersey (Darren?), provide biographical information about Gerhard
> >Heilmann,

> Here is some info I have from various sources.
>
> "He was born 25.6 1859 in Skelskoer, and died 26.3 1946.
> He was working as artist, draughtsman and writer,
> studied medicine and other subjects in Roskilde 1877-1883.
> After that he mainly studied arts under among others the

[snipped]

> Chris

This deserves a little addendum, I think. First of all, a more recent
bit of information on Heilmann is given by Svend Palm, "Gerhard
Heilmann og teorierne om fuglenes oprindelse [Gerhard Heilmann and
theories on the origin of birds]", _Dansk Ornithologisk Forenings
Tidsskrift_, Vol. 83 Issue 1-2 (1986), pp. 6-10. As the title
indicates, this article is more concerned with Heilmann's theories
than with his personality, but it also contains a fair bit of
biographical info. Also see _The origin of flapping flight in birds_
by the same author. Palm emphasises that Heilmann's first article of
1912 preceded Broom in arriving at the 'pseudosuchian' hypothesis (p.
7). It further turns out that Heilmann was an artist of considerable
reputation, who was responsible for the design of Danish bank notes
until his death in 1946. Next to his artistic work and his ideas on
bird evolution, he was a social critic; his books _Universet og
Traditionen_ and _Kirken og Videnskaben_  turn against the doctrine
of creation and the church in general, respectively.

Hope this helps,

Ilja Nieuwland
Groningen, NL