DINO/BIRD MANI

<<To me, an interested, and I think, reasonably intelligent outsider (an
ecologist), Feduccia and colleagues have done what scientists are
supposed to do. They have produced an observation which tends to
negate an hypothesis that was advanced to explain an observation.
Padian, et al., have done what they were supposed to do, i.e., scramble
around to find an explanation which accommodates the new data but saves
the hypothesis.  It seems to me, however, that Padian and others have
had to scramble quite a bit and resort to some unstraightforward
explanations to reconcile the bird and dinosaur hands.  Parsimony would
favor Feduccia here, but Padian may still be right. I await more data.>>

I certainly agree with you that Feduccia et al. ( actually it should be
Martin et al. ) have done the scientific thing to do.  They certainly
made the list scramble a few months ago.  However, personally, a lot of
the things that Feduccia says and does in the dino/bird debate can be
considered unscientific.  When he commented on Sinosauropteryx feathers
without ever seeing a picture of it.  He fails to note contradictory
evidence to his origin of birds hypothesis; the Megalancosaurus and
avimorph hypothesis ( Megalancosaurus is almost certainly excluded from
candidacy of avian ancestor by its lacking of a quadratojugal among
other things ).  Feduccia fails to acknowledge the large amounts of
osteological, behavorial, myological, and eggshell evidence that shows
that birds are related to dinosaurs.  Larry Martin on the other hand has
been relatively even-handed in his arguments against the dino/bird link
and has come in support of the only other viable candidate for an avian
ancestor; a crocodylomorph.

DINO/BIRD HANDS

The thrust of Burke and Feduccia's argument against the dinosaur/bird
link concentrated on the primary axis of cartilage condensation in the
avian manus.  They showed that in all tetrapods that digit IV, in both
the manus and pes was the first digit to appear and that its cartilage
travelled medially and laterally to the other digits. Digit IV is always
opposite the ulna in all tetrapods and it recieves its cartilage from
this part of the limb bud.  The evidence would seem to support that the
digits in birds are II-III-IV because there are similiar developmental
patterns in other tetrapods such as turtles and crocs.  However, the
problem is that in maniraptoriform theropods, digit III is opposite the
ulna.  The reason why digit IV in other tetrapods is the primary axis is
because it is opposite the ulna where it gets its cartilage.  Since in
theropods digit III is opposite the ulna, then it is concieveable that
digit III is the primary axis in theropods and birds.  Really the paper
was just a review of the development of the manus in tetrapods; it
introduces no new information to the dinosaur/bird debate.

Matt Troutman