Paleogaffe

At 04:07 PM 5/20/1998 -0400, Jeff Hecht <jhecht@world.std.com> wrote,
regarding NATURAL HISTORY's paleogaffe:

JH--->  This may have been the work of a "fact checker,"
JH--->  an underpaid peon assigned to check every quote and the
JH--->  spelling of every odd word in an article,
JH--->  but who may know nothing about the subject.

Very true!  I observed in a prior posting that Eldridge probably did not
write the box in which the error appeared.  Often such boxes are written by
editorial types with only a cursory understanding of the material involved.

My 12-year-old daughter caught this one, but she's no editor.

John C. McLoughlin