undiscovered dinosaurs

Is it true that the vast majority of fossils ever found have been
discovered at the surface of the ground?  I remember seeing somewhere
(perhaps in the archives) that someone had estimated that there were
thousands of species of dinosaurs during the course of the Mesozoic.  Does
anyone have any references estimating the number of dinosaur species that
remain undiscovered?  Also, where can I find literature on current
techniques for imaging hidden fossils?

Best regards,

Dave