Re: Request for sources of fossil REPLICAS

More sources for fossil replicas:

Valley Anatomical, run by Mary Odano, famous for work on _Giganotosaurus_.
Her company phone # is (818) 347-3494, and you can read more in Peter Von
Sholly's post on 9-13-97.  Top quality.

Among other things, Gaston Design produces a _Utahraptor_ ungual (claw)
with a removable "keratin" sheath.  The # is (970) 858-4785, and you can
read Jim Kirkland's letter about them in his post circa 7/8/97.

Two Guys Minerals and Fossils has a nice catalog of replicas.  Their # is
the catchy 1 (800) FOSSILS or you can visit their web site at
<www.twoguysfossils.com>.

Finally, for the frugally inclined, I recommend Prehistoric Products Co. at
<www.finishingfirst.com>.  You can see a full page ad in the latest
_Prehistoric Times_ magazine, but the web site is worth a look.  The owner
specializes in producing quantities of simple teeth, claws, and skeletal
slab gypsum fossil replicas, and offers many package deals, such as the
"Museum In A Box," which includes 19 small specimens for a mere $79.95 plus
$10 shipping.  The skulls included in this set are bas-relief, not full
in-the-round replicas, but you can't beat the price!  I passed around these
fossil casts at my dinosaur workshop at my son's elementary school.  Kids
like to get their hands on everything, so it makes sense to use cheapo
replicas in this setting.

I think fossil replicas are great!  I've got some slab fossil replicas up
on the wall.  Really dresses up the place.  And, most importantly, this way
the originals (especially rare fossils like _Archaeopteryx_) are safely
kept in perpetuity in institutional collections where scientists can study
them.  (No, I'm not starting up that thread again; read all about it in the
archives).

-- Ralph (not on commission) Miller III     gbabcock@best.com

"I remember when rock was young."