UPCHURCH ON TITANOSAURS

Tom Holtz (who?) wrote..

> There are two currently debated positions for titanosaurs.  The
> traditional position, and one still upheld by Paul Upchurch (unless
> his new analysis presented this spring supports otherwise) is that
> titanosaurs and diplodocoids are sister taxa.

Paul is now, indeed, supporting a closer relationship between
brachiosaurids and titanosaurs (pers. comm. 1998). As I mentioned
previously, Jainu and Weishampel recently showed Paul's latest
cladogram as an overhead in a talk they gave, and brachiosaurids and
titanosaurs were close.

I note that Paul Sereno is now saying that nemegtosaurids are
brachiosaurids, and not diplodocoid diplodocimorphs. In this he is
agreeing with Calvo. This requires for massive parallelism between
nemegtosaurids and diplodocoids.

Hooray for the Camel Spewtum Local Fauna.

"This R2 unit has a bad motivator"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk