Re: Bakkermania! (was Chasing Monsters)

----------
> From: Larry Dunn <larrydunn@hotmail.com>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Bakkermania! (was Chasing Monsters)
> Date: Sunday, May 24, 1998 8:58 PM
>
> From: Danvarner <Danvarner@aol.com>
>
> >     Next week: Tips on the Robert Bakker Method for Acting on
> Television
> >Documentaries using the fingers, eye-squints, and eccentric syntax.
>
> The guy makes me cringe too, which leads me to query the pros: how is
> his published work?  I mean the real technical writing, not TDH (which
> I've read).  Is it respected?  Does it generally make sense?
>
> He seems to have such an agenda to make dinosaurs smarter than Steven
> Hawking and faster than cheetahs that I can't help but reflexively doubt
> everything he says.  For example, on a television program he recently
> portrayed Coelophysis as the pack-hunting terror of the Triassic, while
> I've assumed all along that the big predatory thecodonts would've been
> perfectly happy to eat Coelophysis with some fava beans and a nice
> Chianti.
>
> Larry

Larry ,
Dr.Bob publishes his stuff in ' The Hunteria' at the University of Colorado
 Is this the TDH you're referring to ?
I met him at a lecture about 5 years ago ,at UNCW in Wilmington , N.C. His
campus escort was from Raleigh , and happened to be wearing one of my dino
t-shirts. He asked where he could get one .To make a long story short , I
got primo seats at the lecture ,and Bob got a shirt and some prints . The
guy's arrogant , eccentric and somewhat wide of the mark at times , but
he's entertaining in the context of a lecture and not a bad artist .He
absolutely should stay in the field and off of the T.V .

Regards , Truett Garner