Fwd: PRARIES & DINOSAUR SPECIES DIVERSITY

--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 98-05-24 09:53:09 EDT, m_troutman@hotmail.com writes:

<< Though
 I find George's prarie and savannah analogy flawed, I do agree with his
 statement that dinosaurs had more species than Dodson's estimate. >>

I used prairie and savannah simply as examples of environments in which
deposition very seldom occurs. I don't care whether there were or weren't such
during the Mesozoic; if there weren't, there were certainly other kinds of
environments in which deposition very seldom occurred. The point is that a
large fraction of the earth at any time is >not< a depositional environment,
and consequently a large fraction of the earth's biome at any epoch will never
have a chance to become part of the fossil record.

--- End Message ---