Re: [Re: [feathers]]

>      Hello Matt , can you give me some help on this question ?

I'll give it a shot.

<<Penguins and another bird (I forget it's name, but it lives on the
Galapagos and has real short wings) I know have very robust bones. They
are more solid than other bird bones, but I'm not sure how much. Also I
believe Hesperonis had bones like that too. I can't verify too much
right now, but I might be able to later on in the week. If I do I'll
give you a ring.>>

Virtually all aquatic birds have thick-walled bones and/or bones that
are filled with a marrow-like substance.  Hesperornids and baptornids
had thick-walled bones and reduced pnematization in the vertebrae and
limb bones.  Loons and grebes are similiar in that they have
thick-walled bones and reduced pnematization.  Most (all?) flightless
birds have thick-walled bones and have pnematization, but not to the
extent of aquatic birds.  Some fossil Anhimidae ( screamers ) have
reduced pnematization in their vertebrae except for some thoracic and
sacral vertebrae.  Penguins, some auks, and plotopterids all have
reduced pnematization with the penguin going to the extreme.

I think the bird you're thinking about is the Galapagos Flightless
Cormorant.

Basically any aquatic bird that you can think of has thick-walled bones
and reduced pnematization.

<<Matt Troutman might have more to add on this too, since he seems well
versed in avian anatomy.>>

Thanks for suggesting me.

Matt Troutman