Re: Dr. Bakker and Dinosaur intellegence (was: Fwd: Bakkermania!)

>Many of the extant animals in their phylogenetic bracket (birds,
>crocodylians) are certainly social to a greater or lesser extent but do
>not exhibit the sophisticated cooperative behavior alleged by the
>dancing dinosaur advocates.

May I ask what kind of behaviors?  Look at Opisthocomus ( hoatzin ) it
forms tight social aggregations of 2 to 8 individuals.  All migratory
birds display behaviors in migration ( like flying for a whole day and
remembering the whole route somehow ) that are complex.  Robins feed
their young and stay bonded to them.  Megapodes create a large nest
cooperatively and the males use their beaks as thermometers that are
extremely precise.  Most birds with altricial or semi-altricial young
regurgitate food to their young.  The list goes on and on.  All of these
are just as complex or more complex inborn instincts and behaviors than
all of the postulated non-avian dinosaurian behaviors. These have little
to do with intelligence, but rather with instinct.  When a goose bonds
to a human when it sees the person when the goose is born, is that
learned behavior or instinct?  ( Anyone hear the hilarious stories of
hawks bonded to humans?)

What sort of dinosaurian behaviors?  Guarding a nest?  Feeding altricial
young?  Tight social bonds?  Since non-avian dinosaurs held more niches
than crocidilians, I find no trouble with the idea that they were
capable of complex behaviors of birds.

Matt Troutman