Bakker laureate

For what it's worth, I think Bakker is an asset to palaeontology.  He does
tend to tell media people his latest theories, without these people realising
that they have not been carefully tested.  I don't mind this myself, and
overall I doubt that it harms dinosaur palaeontology.  However it could be
very dangerous if researchers in some other fields (e.g. medicine) behaved
like that.

And Allan said:

>    My most recent understanding is that the skull that has been labeled
>Cope's, and made into the type specimen for _H. sapiens sapiens_ is NOT
>Cope's...Essentially, Bakker managed to
>get a generic skull labeled the type specimen for humanity.

Hmmm.  I bet Bakker knows whose it really is.

And Dave wrote:

>...Is he really terrified of snakes as was suggested
>in The Lost World?  If so, what a wussy.  He should have his macho maverick
>rebel-without-a-clue hat taken away.

But Roy Chapman Andrews and Indiana Jones were (non-coincidentally) both
ophidiophobes (if that's the word).

Then Darren hoped:

>Hopefully everyone who is interested in
>dinosaurs is enough interested in other animals, like snakes, to at
>least know the difference between a harmless _Lampropeltis_ and a
>venomous elapid (like _Micrurus_ and _Micruroides_, the coral
>snakes).

I must test this one.  You see 3 smallish, almost cylindrical snakes, all
striped red, yellow and black: