IQ & EQ

Dave wrote:

>...Doing the math
>from the list of dinosaur Encephalization Quotients on the facing page,
>_Velociraptor_ had a brain 0.029% of its body weight -- still seemingly
>tiny, but according to the graph, the great whales (universally acknowledged
>as intellegent creatures) have brains only 0.003% their body weight!  Great
>whales had brains as small compared to their body size as did many
>dinosaurs!!!

It is encephalisation quotient which has been found very roughly to correlate
with 'intelligent' behaviour.  When two closely related species have great
differences in intelligence (e.g. humans and chimpanzees), they almost always
have great differences in EQ.  But relatives such as tigers and tabby cats,
with different brain sizes (absolute or divided by body mass) but about the
same EQ, have similar behaviour.

This applies less strongly to distantly related animals, and as a rule of
thumb performs quite well comparing major vertebrate taxa.

I think I wrote something similar about a month ago, when someone asked
whether women's brains were relatively bigger than men's.

Incidentally, cetaceans do not seem to be especially intelligent.  The
largest whales are much bigger than any other mammals (and other
vertebrates), which makes their calculated EQs statistically unreliable.  And
small whales are disappointingly simple, considering their high EQs.

All the best,

                                                                        Bill