Re: Dr. Bakker and Dinosaur intellegence (was: Fwd: Bakkermania!)

Chris Campbell wrote:

> T.J. wrote:
>
> > So can we assume that a similar social group of Deinonychus could have
> > behaved in a similar way when attacking a prey? But this shouldn´t be called
> > pack-hunting.
>
> I think it should be called something like semi-cooperative hunting.
> Cooperative hunting (what we typically think of as pack hunting) should
> refer to well-coordinated strategies seen today only in canids, hyaenids,
> and some cetaceans.  Semi-coordinated hunting should refer to a force of
> numbers approach with some strategy behind it, as seen in lions and a
> variety of birds (and possibly some therapods).  Straight pack hunting would
> refer to behaviors seen in things like pirahnas and other creatures with no
> coordination whatsoever.  We have to define various terms for various social
> hunting styles so that we know what we're talking about instead of confusing
> one another with a single term used in a variety of ways, as "pack hunting"
> is now.

 Well, I'm new here but I've got a bit to add on this thread, forgive me if this
has been covered already....

I'd tend to agree with this as it seems that animals like Deinonychus were built
for taking down prey much larger than themselves.  I can't imagine any animal,
no
matter how agile, hopping around on one foot trying to use it's major killing
weapon.  Neither to I think that such an over sized weapon would be needed to
take
down prey close to the size of the hunter.  I can however imagine at least one
an
probably several on grabbing onto a larger (possibly much) animal and having at
it.  I'm not saying that they acted anything like what we associate with pack
hunting today, more like the semi-cooperative hunting described above.

--
Kevin Denison