Re: Dr. Bakker and Dinosaur intellegence (was: Fwd: Bakkermania!)

Larry Dunn wrote:

> >It also depends on what you describe as "intelligent". Crocodiles do
> >things that seem intelligent in some respects: co-operative hunting
> >similar to any lion or wolf,
>
> In what way is crocodile piling-on at the water's edge similar to, say,
> hunting in wolves?
>
> Larry

When migrating herbivore herds need to cross a river, nile crocodiles
have been observed in what can only be described as cooperative
hunting. They position themselves strategically and attempt to
out-flank any lagging individuals. Surrounding the prey also helps to
block off any avenues of escape, and several animals working together
are more likely to be able to drag a large animal into deeper water
where the crocs have an advantage.

I'm not a croc expert by any means, so if I've got any of this wrong
then by all means correct me.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: