Re: Dr. Bakker and Dinosaur intellegence (was: Fwd: Bakkermania!)

Larry Dunn wrote:

> Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> > They position themselves strategically and attempt to
> > out-flank any lagging individuals.
>
> Sounds more to me like individual behavior in which many individuals
> are jockeying for a bite.

When I first read of this (in this thread) I was a bit incredulous.  I've
always instinctively downplayed the intelligence of crocs, but they
continually surprise me so I've learned to give them the benefit of the
doubt.  I've been generally astonished to learn of their great bursts of
speed, their nesting behaviors, and their general nonstupidity, which is a
lot better than you'd (I'd) expect from a big lizard (I know, they're not
lizards).  In this particular case I think a very precise description of the
events in question would be very helpful; how exactly are they positioning
themselves?  Is the positioning random?  Do they strike at a variety of
target areas on the prey animal, and do they do it in concert?  I think true
cooperative behavior is unlikely, but opportunistic strategies would be
consistent with the complexity of behaviors we've seen in crocs so far.

> > I'm not a croc expert by any means,
>
> Me either!

Me three!  As I recall, though, there are some on the list, so if they wanna
chime in . . .

Chris