Re: COWBIRDS....SHUDDER & nest predation

To Pat Grant:

Do you have a reference for your claim that cowbird parents go back to
the parasitized nest to kill the host species?  While I am not ab
authority on the species, I can say that I have never seen this before.
Many other birders I have talked to have never seen this.  Really it is
somewhat parasoxial.  Cowbirds have relatively large young with sharp
bills.  The sharp bills function to push the host chicks out of the
nest.  They are perfectly capable to do this by themselves.  Plus, I
have never seen a cowbird eat anything as big as a bird chick ( I hardly
see them eat animals!).

Matt Troutman