RE: dinosaur cloning

        ########################

> -----------
         Hungarian scientists did this in a minor way decades ago, without
computers.  They used
        selective breeding to retrograde to a primitive bovine type from
modern cattle.  They simply
        bred for the more basal characteristics in each generation.  It took
10 years or so to come
        up with a basal bovine.  Maybe not THE basal bovine, but much more
primitive.

        In 3rd world countries, feral dogs routinely breed back to a basal
form.  There was an excellent
        show on The Animal Channel on this subject.  And these feral dogs
start out as everything
        from little pugs to German Shepherds.  The basal form has short,
rough fur, long snout, long,
        straight ears & is brown to black (usually spotted).  The retrobred
(naturally) canines always
        weigh 40-60 pounds.

        Dinosaurs would be a bigger task.  But one would start for
crocodiles or birds.  Haven't crocodile scuts (sp?)  been genetically
altered to produce feather buds?

        Dwight