Re: Fossil auctions

Seems that in both archeology and paleontology there is some difficulty
getting funding for expeditions.  However, the products of field work have a
great deal of value on the private market, and would fund the work.  I can see
some logic in a professionally managed dig funded by the product when the
alternative is the potential finds will be either destroyed by wind and rain
or grabbed and sold by people who don't care about the context.
Considering that I'll never be able to own a significant fossil and can only
see them in museums, private sale is a loss.  At the same time, if the
alternative is never hearing about the fossil at all, then maybe private sale
should be allowed.
I'd appreciate being talked out of this idea.