The Enormous Egg

In the recent on-list discussion about the book "The Enormous Egg," which is
about a young boy and his adventures with a dinosaur, I don't think anyone
has given a plot summary.

Nate Twitchell hears a squawk in the hen house, and goes there to discover
that one of his chickens has laid (layed?) the eponymous enormous egg, which
hatches into a dinosaur because (dot dot dot) chickens and dinosaurs are so
closely related.

It has been almost four decades since I read this book, but I remember it as
being one of my favorites from when I was a kid.

What I can't remember is whether Nate Twitchell had a next-door neighbor
named George O.