Re: "Dissed Triceratops"

----------
> From: Stewart, Dwight <Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com>
> To: 'dino' <dinosaur@usc.edu>
> Subject: "Dissed Triceratops"
> Date: Saturday, October 03, 1998 3:09 AM
>
>    Departing from the symbiosis thread, a comment in the really fine book
by
> Dr. Horner; "The Complete T. rex"
> caught my attention.  In the book he describes Triceratops as "pea
brained"
> & says that he doubted that they would fend off an attacking T. rex as a
> group.  That struck me as odd  & certainly did NOT match the information
> have read about Triceratops:
>    1) It was my understanding that Triceratops had a relatively large
brain
> case &
>    2) There is certainly ample evidence of other Ceritopsians travelling
in
> very large groups, which at least strongly implies herd & (perhaps)
> cooperative behavior.
>
> Dwight

Unfortunately , Triceratops is one of several ceratopsians that have not
been found in monospecific bone beds . Achelousaurus , Eniosaurus ,
Styracosaurus , Pachyrhinosaurus , Centrosaurus (centrosaurines ) have been
found in monospecific bone beds ,which constitutes the best evidence for
herding behavior. Chasmosaurus is the only chasmosaurine to be found in
such a bone bed. Triceratops seems to have been a solitary animal , based
on the fossil record , but very capable of handling a T.rex .Check out
Peter Dodson's ' The Horned Dinosaurs ' for more details.Hope this helps !
Regards , Truett Garner