Re: Cheekless and lipless dinosaurs...

Jaime A. Headden <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Why would a theoretically tachymetabolic warm-blood like a
> tyrannosaur need to use bacteria to facilitate a kill?

It wouldn't.  I was suggesting some such immunity as a way of getting
around the problem of a hypothetically lipless _T. rex_ constantly
breathing in microbes that could make it susceptible to infection,
especially considering the diet of meat, some of which may have spoiled.
The lipless _T. rex_ is Tracy Ford's idea, not mine, and I was trying to
make a case for how it might work (whether I happen to subscribe to the
hypothesis or not).

Question: Do the locations of the mandibular foramina (which relate to the
hypothetical _T. rex_ lips) seem appropriate if the upper teeth are not to
bite into or otherwise interfere with the lower lips?  It would appear so
to me, based on these foramina seeming to give a wide gap between
themselves and the point of eruption of the lower teeth on the mandible,
and roughly paralleling the contours of the upper teeth, but one would need
to study a proper closed jaw reconstruction to make a proper assessment.  I
have numerous pictures of the highly distorted "Sue" skull, which has a
closed jaw, but it appears to be very mashed down.  How far down do the
tips of the upper teeth extend when the tyrannosaur jaw is closed -- would
they lie above or below the mandibular foramina?

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com