Re: SOME SVP TIDBITS

Pete Buchholz wrote:
>  You have already gotten some news from SVP from a few other posters, but
> here are some extras that I thought were expecially interesting.  First
though, I
>  would like to publicly complain about a few aspects of this year's SVP.

I agree with Pete that the logistics of the meeting were at least a hill
short of perfection.  In some of the meeting rooms, a not-very-tall person
sitting in front of you would block your view of most of the projection
screen.
There were no soft drinks left by the second break in the afternoon and no
place to buy one.

The banquet was marred by the late preparation of the room, leaving a
large and restless crowd jammed against the ballroom doors until about
 7:40 p.m. (the event was supposed to start at 7).  If a person wanted to
get a drink during this time, he had to buy a ticket at one end of the lobby
space and then push through the crowd to get to the bar at the other end
to actually get the drink.  When the doors finally opened, there was a great
push like a homesteaders land rush.

It was shameful that so many people interested in science left as the main
speaker finally started to talk.  The NASA program on the Mars rock and life
elsewhere was extremely interesting.  I am not sure where the deserters were
going (to stand outside again?).

On the positive side, Ralph Chapman was a delight at the auction--tastefully
and amusingly hawking the items up for bid.  Not a sheep showed up this
year, and the auction of Pat Monaco (as a field camp cook) was much more
restrained than at previous auctions.  The symposia were excellent, and it
was difficult to choose which talks to listen to, most people trying to move
back and forth between the interesting sessions.

The snow was certainly a visual delight on the mountains, but a hindrance
in making one's way back and forth to the scattered talks.  Melissa Fox
built a terrific theropod snowman (to compliment the mud she brought back
from the banks of the Green River on the trip to Dinosaur National Monument
:-)).

The first cast and model of _Scipionyx_ were shown to a few lucky people,
and _Gastonia_ was on display in the back of the poster session, in all its
unusual, armored glory.  Congratulations to Jim Kirkland on this.

The Jurassic Foundation, headed by Phil Currie and funded by Universal's
Jurassic Park movies and paraphernalia, was announced at a special
luncheon on Saturday.  The foundation will give small grants of $1000 to
$5000 to fund worthy paleo projects--more information on this is forthcoming.
Don Lessem's involvement in this non-profit venture was a source of much
controversy at the luncheon, with Paul Sereno questioning how this project
would avoid what happened at the Dinosaur Society.

As our bard Mickey Rowe mentioned, I have more than a few pictures to
document SVP at Snowbird.  Get your .jpeg capabilities ready.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com