        From:   Danvarner@aol.com [SMTP:Danvarner@aol.com]
        Sent:   Wednesday, October 07, 1998 4:13 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        In Defense of Chas.R.Knight.

          Ed Summers has made available to us here on the list a lengthy
blurb about a
        new Imax film called,_T.rex:Back to the Cretaceous_. Larry Dunn has
made some
        perceptive comments on this film which you have probably read.
Having observed
        several frames from this film at Ed's website, I am absolutely
enfuriated by
        the audacity of the film-maker's engendering the name of Charles
Knight as a
        character in their film.
          Knight looked for beauty in line and form and would accept nothing
less in
        his pursuit of the images of his prehistoric models. The cheesy,
goggled-eyed
        monsters, stooped and inaccurate as shown in these frames would have
greatly
        offended Knight.
          The huge problem with computer generated images is that you can
actually
        make a piece of crap come to life. But don't you dare put a real
artist's
        signature on it! Dan Varner.