Re: 2,000 of our dino-birds are missing (partial joke)

At 07:32 AM 10/8/98 +1000, Dann Pigdon wrote:
>Oh-Oh, do I detect a magnetic reversal on its way?  :)
>
>Seriously though, it has been suggested that (among other
>things) a palaeomagnetic reversal may have contributed to the
>Late K extinctions. Is there any evidence of such a reversal >occuring at
or around the K/T boundary?

Well, not really.  The extinctions peaked (or occurred) somewhat past the
middle of a stable reversed polarity time (magnetochron 29R).  This puts
the extinction several hundred thousand years off from an actual reversal
either way.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com