Re: _Plastosicus_ revealed

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> As you may remember, Alessandro Marisa was searching for the identity of a
> creature labled "_Plastosicus_" from a drawing by Mike Milbourne in
> Prehistoric Times.
>
> After getting a copy of the figure and seeing the shape of the infratemporal
> fenestra, I was suspicious about this being a theropod (as some were
> claiming).  The shape of the fenestra looked a lot more like an
> ornithosuchid or prestosuchid to me.  It finally struck me (OUCH!): this
> isn't "_Plastosicus_", it's _Prestosuchus_.  As such, it is NOT a dinosaur:
> it is a pseudosuchian.

Yow! See if I try to identify anything again!

I'd just like to note that while the original post said something
like, "Mike Keesey has identified it as a non-abelisauroid neoceratosaur",
I actually said something more like, "Without comparing it to other
illustrations, my first impression is that it could be a non-abelisauroid
neoceratosaur." At least I got the "non-abelisauroid" part right... <:]

Speaking of abelisauroids, the cladogram I always see runs something like:

Abelisauroidea
|--_Noasaurus_
+--Abelisauridae
   |--_Abelisaurus_
   +--Carnotaurinae (is this official yet? I forget...)

Someone once voiced a hypothesis to me that it could run more like:

Abelisauridae
|--Carnotaurinae
+--Abelisaurinae
   |--_Abelisaurus_
   +--_Noasaurus_

The material is pretty sparse -- just how good is the evidence that
_Noasaurus_ does not belong to Abelisauridae proper? No postcranial
remains are known for _Abelisaurus_ -- could it too have had "switchblade"
claws on its feet (a "'raptor"-mimic)? And just how certain are we that
_Noasaurus_ had 'em -- its claws were pretty different from those of
troodontids and eumaniraptors (were claws other than the "killing" claw
preserved, perhaps?)

--T. Mike Keesey                                   <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
DINOSAUR WEB PAGES -- http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/dinosaur/index.htm