Re: [CNN customn news: extinct lightweight racing tortoises]

owner-dinosaur@usc.edu wrote:
> This is a CNN custom news article. if you can't access the URl, try

> registering at CNN for your own custom news to access the article.

> excerpt:

>  "In the Mascarene islands there were no large

>  predators, so the tortoises adapted to the island

> life by reducing the thickness of their shell to

> the bare minimum, and having much larger openings

> for the legs and head. This would have reduced the

> weight of the shell enormously, leading to the

> possibility that these animals were the world's

> only lightweight racing tortoise."

http://customnews.cnn.com/cnews/pna.show_story?p_art_id=3024073&p_section_name=&p_art_type=652817&p_subcat=reptiles&p_category=animals

That was interesting, although they forgot to mention that large tortoises
like the Galapagos tortoise actually have honeycombed their shells, which
drastically reduces the weight.

As for racing tortoises, the only other one I could possibly think of would be
the pancake tortoise and they went through much of the same evolution.

Archosaur J

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html