Re: [Re: DOWNY STEGOSAURS (WAS: Re: Feathers on Bloody ]

owner-dinosaur@usc.edu wrote:
> Betty wrote, "Cold-blooded animals to lose heat either move to where it's

> cooler - or - open their mouths to cool the blood

> circulating in the mouth.

> "Is there another way cold blooded animals cool down?"

> Yes--alteration of color.  Seen most clearly in American anoles and the

> chameleons, many other lacertilians display a lighter color when they're hot

> to reflect the heat of sunlight, and a darker one to absorb heat more

> efficiently when they're basking.

> Of course, the anoles and chameleons also use color variation primarily as

> an infraspecific signalling device, but I've personally observed the heat

> regulating function in them, as well.

> I'm keeping a baby bearded dragon right now, and he goes from a surprisingly

> dark brown when he'd cold to an almost white shade of beige when he's hot.

> --Christopher

==============================
====================================

And to think, all this while I thought that I was the only one on this forum
to keep reptiles. I must say it is comforting to know there are others.

Since I'm here I'll just add two more, unique, ways that some reptiles cool
down.

With varanids and agamids, it is observed that on hot days these animals will
stand around on their hind legs to cool themselves off.

If there is no breeze, the animals will then take off on their hindlegs to
create a breeze of their own (actual observations of this have been with
frilled dragons and collared lizards.)

Another way that some reptiles cool off is by taking a dive off a tree branch.
Needless to say, this is only done in gliding reptiles.

Archosaur J

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html

"Ahh, IT'S THE RAPTURE!! Quick hide Bart before God comes." -The Simpsons