Re: [CNN customn news: extinct lightweight racing tortoises]

On 11 Oct 1998 archosaur@usa.net wrote:

> That was interesting, although they forgot to mention that large tortoises
> like the Galapagos tortoise actually have honeycombed their shells, which
> drastically reduces the weight.

Presumably this honeycombing would continue to protect against large
predators.  This is evidence that the real penalty against large tortoise
size is predation at the nest, i.e., a large tortoise provides amplified
cues to would be predators.  Otherwise we would have giant tortoises on
the mainlands, wouldn't we?