Re: Cheekless and lipless dinosaurs...

Ralph Miller III wrote:

> I wrote:
> > <So a tyrannosaur might have developed similar immunities (to the
> > monitor's).>
>
> Jaime A. Headden <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  Why would a theoretically tachymetabolic warm-blood like a
> > tyrannosaur need to use bacteria to facilitate a kill?
>
> It wouldn't.  I was suggesting some such immunity as a way of getting
> around the problem of a hypothetically lipless _T. rex_ constantly
> breathing in microbes that could make it susceptible to infection,
> especially considering the diet of meat, some of which may have spoiled.
> The lipless _T. rex_ is Tracy Ford's idea, not mine, and I was trying to
> make a case for how it might work (whether I happen to subscribe to the
> hypothesis or not).

Here I'm gone for two weeks and the list actually talks about something
that I wrote about.

Here's my article biblography

Ford, Tracy Lee, 1997. Did Theropods have Lizard Lips? Southwest
Paleontological Symposium - Proceedings, 1997: 65-78.

and my abstract for the next Dinofest volume, which another paper will
appear.

Ford, Tracy Lee, 1998. A crocodile smile, or a lizard smile, which was
it for theropods? The Dinofest Symposium, Presented by. The Academy of
Natural Sciences Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 17-19, 1998. Edited
by D. L. Wolberg, K. Gittis, S. Miller, L. Carey and A. Raynor: 15-16.

You all can read about there.

I will also be addressing my take on the check thing for the next Mesa
Arizona SYmposium, with the conscent and approval of Witmer and Steven
Czerkas (who also presented why there are no checks in dinosaurs).

Tracy