Re: BIRDS

Matthew Troutman wrote (much snipped):
 piciform polyphyly has been suggested numerous times.  I
> think that now there is mounting evidence to suggest that the
> 'Piciformes' of the classical sense is polyphyletic such as:

Forgive my ignorance on avians and my lack of closely following this
discussion, but I'm a bit confused on something here.  Is all this talk
of polyphyly amongst the avians concerned only within major groups
within Aves or referring to polyphyly of Aves as a whole?  I don't think
that is what is being suggested, but I thought I would get this little
point clarified just in case. I haven't read the paper being referenced
here but hopefully will find time to do so in the (relativley) near
future.
Thanks,

Joe Daniel