Re: Help, help

At 10:06 AM 14/10/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Ronald -- or anyone on the list who can provide additional information,
>
>While at the SVP meeting, I saw a poster that featured an extinct shore bird
>from North or South Carolina,  with a large wingspan (est. 20 feet +/-).  It
>has a snoutfull of respectible teeth, and dates from about 28 -30 Myears ago.

This sounds very much like Osteodontornis or one of its relatives.  Of
course there were no toothed birds (that we know of) after the K-T.  The
Osteodontornithids did not have teeth, but had a wickedly-serrated bill
that certainly looks toothed (and must have been ideal for holding on to
large fish).  For some excellent restorations by Mark Hallet see Feduccia's
"The Origin and Evolution of Birds", p. 192.  Feduccia notes that they were
members of the Pelecaniformes (related to pelicans, cormorants, gannets and
frigatebirds), were well-adapted to soaring and indeed had wingspreads up
to 20 feet.  They range from Eocene to Pliocene and are known worldwide,
including well-known Miocene sites from both coasts of North America.
1825 Shady Creek Court