Re: BIRDS

<<Forgive my ignorance on avians and my lack of closely following this
discussion, but I'm a bit confused on something here.  Is all this talk
of polyphyly amongst the avians concerned only within major groups
within Aves or referring to polyphyly of Aves as a whole?>>

What is being discussed is polyphyly among one the major groups of
birds, 'Piciformes'.  Classical 'Piciformes' includes two suborders link
have been linked by some rather dubious characters: Pici (woodpeckers,
barbets, toucans) and Galbulae (puffbirds and jacamers).  In '83 one
ornithologist suggested that the classical 'Piciformes' was polyphyletic
and Galbulae was not linked to Pici but imbedded inside the
Coraciiformes, a group of birds that includes kingfishes.  Olson (the
1983 author) suggested that Pici was linked to Passeriformes based on
several characters.  The paper in question provides evidence that
supports this hypothesis (e.g. Pici and Passeriformes show a primitive
spinal cord morphology and Galbulae shows an advanced, derived spinal
cord morphology shared with Coraciiformes and many other birds).

Aves diphyly has been suggested many times in the past but has not
seriously been considered for 50 years.

Matt Troutman