Re: [RE: DOWNY STEGOSAURS (WAS: Re: Feathers on Bloody Everything)]

owner-dinosaur@usc.edu wrote:
>       If the growth rates implied for dinosaurs are accurate, that

> certainly implies at least partial endothermia.  My son is a reptile fancier

> & owned a couple of boa constrictors, numerous turtles, newts, & has a

> Savanna Monitor as a pet ATT.  He bought his pets from reputable dealers & I

> know it took his last constrictor YEARS to grow to 12 feet.  At 15 feet, he

> donated her to the San Antonio Zoo.  He accidently overfed Manny (the

> monitor) & the poor creature nearly died.  As someone stated on the list:

> the lizard could not handle the

>       Over feeding, got fat, & his liver nearly failed.  (Eggs were the

> culprit).

>       So, I don't see how most dinosaurs could have been ectothermic, per

> se.  But, maybe they weren't endothermic in the sense of modern mammals or

> birds, either.

>       P.S.: The Savanna Monitor is fine now & on a very strict diet! :-)

>       Dwight
=======================================

A couple things.

1. I'm glad to hear that the monitor is fine

2. If eggs were the culprit then overfeeding wasn't the problem. Sounds more
like the animal was a little overstressed, since the problem was egg binding
and not liver failure.

3. Savannah monitors make for poor examples of ectothermic growth rates. These
animals, in the wild, go for months without food during the dry season. So
they are used to gorging and then fasting. Consequently this lack of knowledge
with Savannah monitors has caused most captive animals to grow very obese and
live shorter lives. Again I'm glad to hear that your son's is now fine.

For a better analogue to deino growth I suggest using nile monitors, or
emerald tree monitors. These animals can grow large, fast.

The green iguana does the same thing. My iguana eats everyday. Although he is
now an adult, my former iguana I had raised from a juvenile and I was shocked
to see the tremendous growth in only 1 year's time (of course that was nothing
compared to the growth of her siblings in the pet shop, but that's a sad
story)

If we might leave the reptilia for a moment, we can look at many toads that
eat there body weight (sometimes more) in insects every night.

There are plenty of examples of ectotherms with fast growth rates and ravenous
appetites.

This is why I have never understood why we have to attribute endothermy to
activity.

Archosaur J

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html